Behavior is a function of PERSONALITY AND ENVIRONMENT.
(McGregor’s Employee Motivation theory)
- Theory X: Boss is authoritarian , no freedom for employers so no motivation. Objecitve is money: Scientific Management
- Theory Y: Boss trusts each individual and optimizes working condition so that motivation is always there: HUMAN RELATIONS
ANOTHER WAY OF SAYING IT:
theory x (‘authoritarian management’ style)
- The average person dislikes work and will avoid it he/she can.
- Therefore most people must be forced with the threat of punishment to work towards organisational objectives.
- The average person prefers to be directed; to avoid responsibility; is relatively unambitious, and wants security above all else.
theory y (‘participative management’ style)
- Effort in work is as natural as work and play.
- People will apply self-control and self-direction in the pursuit of organisational objectives, without external control or the threat of punishment.
- Commitment to objectives is a function of rewards associated with their achievement.
- People usually accept and often seek responsibility.
- The capacity to use a high degree of imagination, ingenuity and creativity in solving organisational problems is widely, not narrowly, distributed in the population.
- In industry the intellectual potential of the average person is only partly utilised.
Assumption 3: The organization as a Metaphor to the Human Body
The cells are the people, the organs are the groups and the body or person is the organization.